Saturday, June 12, 2010

Hanging on for Isaac

So I have been doing some thinking, reading, studying and meditating.
My first train of thought went in the direction of Abraham in his sacrifice of his son.
You see, I too have been asked to sacrifice something that I love- my husband. I know him not, but daily, I have to sacrifice the desire and dream to be with him. I have to be willing to obey God's calling on my life where I am now.
As I studied though, I went back a few years in Abraham's life and realized that my similarities with him were even deeper.
Abraham was promised to be the "Father of a Great Nation" God did not lay out this plan, with a detailed timeline or synopsis of people and dates. He simply promised it would happen.
God placed a dream in my heart several years ago. I would be a wife and mom, one day. I have not been given a daily plan or agenda telling me who to meet and when, I just have to wait.
Abraham was convinced to "help God out" - thus having Ishmael. Ishmael could have been the father of A great nation, (and he was later) but, was he who God had in mind for THE Great Nation? No. I am sure that Abraham loved and enjoyed being a dad to him... his concern for his welfare was evident later when Ishmael and his mother were sent away- but Ishmael was not who God had in mind, and Abraham had to wait.
I have met plenty of Ishmaels. Guys that were fun, seeming to be what God would have for me, but they arent. I dont want an Ishmael. I want to hang on for Isaac.
Abraham was finally told that within a year he would have a son.
I have not been given a set time like that, but I am in that waiting stage. I have been promised and Isaac, and I am waiting for him.
I pray that my love for God is shown through my obedience in a way that I would have the faith of Abraham talked about in Hebrews 11...
11- By faith Abraham, even though he was past age—and Sarah herself was barren—was enabled to become a father because he considered him faithful who had made the promise.
12- And so from this one man, and he as good as dead, came descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as countless as the sand on the seashore.

No comments: