Thursday, March 04, 2010

The Wisdom of the Ents



So- I am going to show a little of my "geeky" side. =)

When Lord of the Rings first came out, I was quite obsessed! I read the books,

I had the soundtracks,

posters (and even action figures)

but I would not be ok with just having the standard cut dvds. . .

Oh no, I had to have "The Extended Edition"

Though it took a dent in my bank account, lots of people have thanked me for the purchase and enjoyed the extra hours and scenes with me!

One of them being a few scenes with Treebeard! (Of all the mythical creatures, the Ents are some of my favorites!)

There is one part where Merry (a hobbit) is trying hard to get the Ents to go to war. Being 'as old as the trees' (pun intended) Treebeard is flowing with wisdom beyond the years of the hobbits. So in Merry's attempts to get him to hurry He is met with, "Do not be hasty!"

During the Entmoot, it takes them all day to say "Good Morning" for Old Entish is described this way-it is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it- because we do not say anything in it unless it is worth taking a long time to say- and to listen to."-Treebeard in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien

I have seen these movies a million +1 times, and yet for whatever reason this past time- this line was like a slap in the face.

Now before you start thinking that I have gone and learned Old Entish, let me assure you, that is not the case! =)

Reading in my Bible the other day I got a revelation, the Ents mentality of speaking is very much an example portrayed- even if the motive is different. Let me show you. . . .

"Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore, let your words be few." Ecclesiastes 5:2

Just as ents dont want to say anything unless it is important and worth saying, we need to be the same!

No comments: