Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Dropping-eves

I cant help what my ears hear.
When I am sweeping the floors at work, listening to people's conversations are very interesting.
Sometimes amusing.
Shocking.
Even disgusting.
Little kids always say the best things though.
A conversation I overheard one day: A lady was talking with her friends talking about the cleaning of her house. She said, "I must have done something wrong. The other day I was just vacuuming and my kids asked who was coming over!"
There are the conversations that I wish I had never heard, especially when it involves a child.
No one should hear foul language, but a kid! Really? I think- NO.
My dad has recently challenged us as a family with "4:29"
"Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear."
Ephesians 4:29
As I go around work now, doing my job, the words I hear are a challenge to me. The people talking may not be aware that others are listening, but its true- you can be heard. When I am the customer in places, are my words to my friends and family ones that would make a person cringe? More so, are they words that would make Jesus cringe? Is my speech edifying and uplifting? Is it imparting grace to all those who hear... whether they were meant to or not?

1 comment:

Meg said...

Thanks for the reminder! I love Dad's challenge. We don't use foul language or anything like that here, but kids pick up on attitudes in the words themselves. Since Harrison is copying everything these days we are being extra careful! He heard me getting frustrated at another driver and he started saying "yuck" pointing to their car! I felt pretty bad that my words had not taught him to find joy and contentment in the situation.